Saturday, March 14, 2009

Giving to freaking Caesar

I don't normally consider myself a dumb person. I mean, I have my moments, to be sure. But generally I feel like I fall on the more intelligent side of the spectrum. This is why tax time is humbling. Because the IRS attempts to prove every year that I am just soooooo wrong.

Last year I cried doing taxes because both Virginia and Georgia claimed they needed my money and I couldn't figure out who needed what. This year it's even worse, because I've outgrown the 1040EZ form, so now I have a form with a lot more lines and a lot more terms that mean absolutely nothing to me. Even the instructions in the booklet don't make sense. In fact, I tried to look up instructions for line 41 because I was confused, and they didn't even have instructions for line 41. It was just supposed to be that self-explanatory. Clergy are legally self employed, so when I get a church, forget it. I'm getting people.

I heard Dave preach a sermon early last year about how grace wasn't complicated like taxes. It's come to mind again over the past few days. And all I have to say is amen to that. Here's to room in the Kingdom for the dumb people.

1 comment:

  1. your tax advisor may have been mistaken. You may not have outgrown the 1040EZ.

    ReplyDelete