Monday, March 16, 2009

Ordinary time

Spring break officially ended tonight at 6:30 when I had to go to Polity and take a midterm. I was sad to see it go. This semester got off to a very slow start, one in which easy two-page reflection papers seemed like the biggest hurdles ever. But I got into it. Things started flowing a little more smoothly. And now, I'm back to square one. I don't feel like I should have to do anything.

If I described my life in liturgical seasons (and, perhaps the question is, why would I not describe my life in liturgical seasons??) maybe this would be Advent. It's a period of waiting for something (theoretically) better to come, of preparing for the new things that life will hold come May. Whatever those things are!

But it doesn't feel like Advent. In Advent, you know you're moving toward Christmas, and I don't know what I'm moving toward right now. I guess I need to find some eschatological hope! Instead, I feel more like I'm caught in the in-between. I want to be done, but I don't want to leave this place I love. I wish graduation would hurry itself up and I wish the rest of the semester would last forever. Meanwhile, it's back to plodding slowly through assignments. Maybe instead of Advent, I'm in Ordinary Time. The in-between of liturgical seasons. Not Christmas, not Easter, not moving immediately toward anything, just sort of there. But that's OK. There's a time for that. And there's hope in the future, but also a lot of stuff to live and love in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment