Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thoughts from this side of the window

Like pretty much everyone in Atlanta, I'm amazed by the snow today. I would be even more amazed if I had had a scraper when I was trying to leave church. Turns out a closed umbrella (still on the floor of my car, btw) is a surprisingly ineffective alternative.

There were more homeless (or apparently homeless) people in church than usual. A few wandered in halfway through the service, looking wet. During fellowship time I talked to a few of them; we chatted about the unusual weather, mutually wished each other good days and weeks. And I felt a little guilty--because where would they go when church was over?

When it's rainy or cold, we often remember people with nowhere to go. (Maybe not as often as we should.) But even people who can escape the elements don't usually get excited about downpours or potential frostbite. At least we're all agreed on that. But snow is beautiful and exciting. Snow makes people gather by the window in the kitchen instead of passing the peace. Only some people, though.

I'm glad my church was a place where people on the streets could spend an hour warm and dry. I'm glad Trinity is the kind of community that welcomes them. I'm glad people could come in and find a word of peace, coffee and a donut, a place for a nap, whatever they needed. And I know it's not as easy as just saying I wish the church could give them that for longer. But I wish it could.

No comments:

Post a Comment