Friday, March 13, 2009

Slightly ajar

More than once in the past few weeks I've talked to a friend who doesn't quite have a post-graduation career lined up yet and assured them that something would turn up. "Look at me!" I say bracingly. "I don't have a job yet, and I'm not worried!"

And for the most part, I'm really not. I'm applying to places, talking to a lot of different people about a lot of different opportunities, seeing what doors God opens, and walking through them. If so far the most promising doors seem to only be slightly ajar, that's OK. It's still early to expect to be hired for a position starting in May or June. Honestly, I kind of like the feeling of having my future open in front of me. There are so many possibilities. And it's kind of fun and even a little exhilarating to feel like my life isn't completely in my hands--like even though it's my job to search out opportunities, God's the one who's going to hook me up. And whatever it is, it'll be good.

But recently--like I knew it would--it's been getting a little harder to hold onto that feeling. Like when I look at job listings and, instead of having a hearty laugh at my lack of qualifications like I did in December, think, "That sounds exactly like the last six jobs that didn't contact me." Or when my phone interview with the only job to respond thus far ended with a simple "Thanks for your time. Have a good afternoon." (Isn't it common courtesy to at least say, "Um, yeah, we're totally going to talk and get back to you"?)

So I'm starting to have conversations with friends who tell me, "Don't worry, Allie. Something will turn up." And they're right. As long as I keep looking, God will open whatever doors I need to respond to whatever it is I'm called to in the immediate future (which might be as vague as it sounds!) It's good to have a community that makes you listen to your own advice and your own beliefs. Sometimes it sounds better coming from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment